Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Growing pains

Don't get me wrong, I {love} how this card turned out. But it took me *so* long to finish this card! My word for this year is 'GROWTH'. I've been striving for growth in all areas of my life, and that includes card-making, so I've been trying to stretch myself in terms of colors, layouts, patterns, challenges, you name it. And I'm feeling the stretch, and in the end, it really, really is good. (But it can still be frustrating in the midst of the growth!)

Anyhoo, enough about me, and back to to the card. This one is for Julee's fabulous Mojo Monday Challenge #72. {Love} this sketch! The stretch for me on this one came with the mix of patterned papers. I started by pulling out some gorgeous Scenic Route 'Sonoma' line DP, and went from there...
The card base is an 11" x 4 1/4" piece of textured red CS, folded to a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" card base. Next I layered on a 5 1/4" x 4" piece of DP, and used that for the rest of my colors. I cut a 1 1/2" by 4 1/4" strip of a coordinating DP, and a 2" x 4 1/4" strip of the textured CS, which I scalloped on one edge using my small corner rounder. I attached both to the base, tied on a vanilla satin ribbon, and continued with the main image panel. I cut a 1 1/2" x 3 3/4" piece of So Saffron CS, and layered it on top of a 2" x 4 1/4" panel of the textured CS, and scalloped the bottom edge with the small corner rounder again. The I stamped the butterfly sentiment onto a scrap of Very Vanilla CS, cut it to 1 7/8" width, and layered it onto a 2" wide strip of the red. I punched a scalloped circle from the red CS, and mounted it to the sentiment using foam tape. The butterfly was stamped onto a pink tag, trimmed closely, and attached using one layer of foam tape at the center, and two layers under the wings. To finish off the card, I added the 3 half-back pearls at the bottom right corner.

Here's to a little bit more growth! *cheers* Thanks for stopping by!
~Michelle

Supplies used:
Paper: red textured CS (Bazzill); patterned papers ('Sonoma' by Scenic Route)
Ink: Distress Fired Brick (Ranger)
Stamps: Beautiful You (Verve); September KOTM (Unity Stamp Co.)
Other: foam tape (3M); 2" scalloped circle punch (Marvy Uchida); pearls (Michael's); satin ribbon (unknown)

5 comments:

Melinda aka Passionfruit said...

this is lovely and you have certainly used your word-of-the-year! great colors!

lori vliegen said...

your stretching exercises are already paying off...your card is fabulous and i love how you mixed all of those patterned papers. you set such a great example for me to step outside my comfort zone and do a little growing (so far, the only "growing" i'm doing is as a result of all the chocolate i've been eating...not a good type of growth!). :)

Christi said...

It may have taken you a long time, but the effort was worth it because it is gorgeous!

Lea L. said...

This is very pretty! I Love the butterfly accent! Great job with the sketch!

~Lea

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

So pretty! Love the DP. Thanks for playing! :)