Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Viva La Verve (times 2)

Catching up on the Verve VLVFeb sketches...these are such great sketches (shout out to Amber!), and if you complete all of the month's sketches by the deadline, you get entered into a contest to win free Verve!

This card I actually started on Thursday, and finished Friday, but haven't uploaded yet. I used an approximation of the color combo Nichole Heady had as one of the PTI release challenges, and the VLVFeb02 sketch, and came up with this:
Oh, and I love, love, {{LOVE}} it! Something about the simplicity and the color combo just makes me *smile*!

The twist for this sketch was NO DESIGNER PAPER, so this is all card stock. The base is a standard A2 in Baja Breeze, and then I built up the card suing the sketch. The yellow scalloped circle is Summer Sun, cut with the Coluzzle, and then scalloped on the edge with my medium corner rounder. The white oval was also cut with the Coluzzle, then I stamped it with the sentiment and the flowers before adhering it to a scrap of Real Red and trimming closely to add just a hint of red mat. The Baja Breeze scalloped circle was punched with my purple Marvy Uchida punch, pierced in the scallops, and mounted to the card with foam tape. For the three dots in the sketch (on either side of the red panel), I used some Heidi Swapp Jet Black Bling. (LOVE those!)

Next up, VLVFeb03, with a monochromatic {twist}...
I've done *lots* of monochromatic cards, and I'm shooting for 'growth' this year, so I wanted to do a color I'd never done before. And ORANGE was that color. The only problem? I've only recently 'discovered' my love of orange, and hardly have any DP that is orange (part of that problem is that they don't make a lot of orange DP for anything other than Halloween...and I don't do Halloween). Happily, several of the Jersey Shore DPs are orange!!
The two polka-dot pieces were actually cut from the patterned strip sheet, so their width is whatever that paper had, but I love the variety of scale! The base is a standard A2 in Pumpkin Pie, and then because I wanted a lot of white, I added a 4" x 5 1/4" panel of Whisper White, with the edges heavily distressed. I stamped the sentiment on a scrap of WW, and punched it out with the blue Marvy circle punch. Then, I punched a Pumpkin Pie circle with the pink Marvy punch, and discovered that the EK small corner rounder goes around the edge perfectly!! (Ah, gotta love those happy accidents!). I matted the two polka-dot pieces with thin Pumpkin Pie mats, and made a wide mat for the daisy paper, and scalloped the bottom edge with the same small corner rounder. Then I put everything together per Amber's sketch, adding foam tape under the vertical panel, under the right half of the larger-scale polka dot panel, and under the scalloped circle panel (with a double-layer of foam tape at the bottom right edge).

Thanks for stopping by today!! Have a wonderful week!
~Michelle

Supplies used (Gratitude Blossom):
Paper: Baja Breeze, Old Olive, Summer Sun, Real Red, and Whisper White CS (SU!)
Ink: Stazon Jet Black (Tsukineko); Old Olive (SU!)
Stamps: 'Beautiful You' (Verve Stamps)
Other: foam mounting tape (3M); Coluzzle cutting system; paper piercing tool (Tonic Studios); scalloped oval punch (Marvy Uchida); corner rounder (EK Success); Jet Black Bling (Heidi Swapp); black grosgrain ribbon (unknown)

Supplies used (Fun is Good):
Paper: Pumpkin Pie and Whisper White CS, 'Jersey Shore' DP (SU!)
Ink: Pumpkin Pie (SU!)
Stamps: 'Beautiful You' (Verve Stamps)
Other: foam mounting tape (3M); Coluzzle cutting system; blue circle punch (Marvy Uchida); corner rounder (EK Success); white satin ribbon (unknown)

2 comments:

Shannon said...

These cards are great! I think it would be a major challenge to make a card using absolutely no patterned paper, and you did a marvelous job! I also really like the monochromatic card. You are so talented and good for you for stretching yourself. Are you going to be taller when I see you next?

Erin Kersh said...

The first card -- this one is my favorite. I too love the combination of colors. I think the black accent is what really sets the whole card off. It makes the layout and other colors "pop" off the page! The second card -- I have always been a fan of monochromatic designs and Dr. Seuss! Plus, I love orange so I am glad you tried it. The way you brought to life the characteristics of what makes Dr. Seuss so great brings back fond memories of being in design studio with you! Great job -- beautiful cards, as usual, Michelle!