Saturday, August 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Jonathan! ...and a card!

Two years ago, we added this little (and I do mean little!) sweetheart to our family! He was born 3 1/2 weeks early, and was tiny! That's a preemie sleeper he's wearing in the above picture, and he was swimming in it. *smiles* He still purses his lips like that when he sleeps...it's so cute, and makes me want to kiss them every time I see it!!

I can't believe my baby is two already! Here's a current picture, of him playing with the blinds in our bay window (before his half-haircut...he wouldn't let poor Bonnie near him this time, but she did manage to trim those bangs, and a bit off the back):
Happy Birthday, Jonathan! We love you, and all the smiles you bring into our lives!

Alright, onto the card! *wink*
I made this last night for Taylor's weekly Cupcake Challenge (TECC28). I had a hard time with this one!! Probably because I was trying to combine it with SCS's Inspiration Challenge (IC140), and give it an Asian feel, and have no Asian stamps. The sketch is fantastic, though...definitely one to keep in my files. It's a long card, and fits into a standard-sized business envelope (the finished dimensions are 8 1/2" x 3 5/8" when folded), which is great when you want to make a 'different' sized card, but don't want to deal with the special postage of a square card.

It's hard to see in the photo, but the white side of the background is embossed with flowers in clear (I think you can see if you click on the photo to enlarge it). I stamped the leaves on the Cool Caribbean in Versamark, and then the main image, small flower, and sentiment are stamped in Stazon Jet Black, then colored with blender pens and reinkers (so the colors would be more true and saturated).

Oh, and one other surprise came in the mail this morning:
My Unity stamps arrived today!! I wasn't expecting them until Monday, but you can bet I'll be playing with them this weekend! As the Unity chicks would say, 'Holla!' So, so excited!! (Don't worry, Angela, I will *definitely* be enjoying my stamps!)

Hope you all have a fantastic day!
~Michelle

Supplies Used:
Paper: Wild Wasabi, Cool Caribbean, Real Red, Whisper White (SU!)
Ink: Stazon Jet Black, Versamark (Tsukineko); Cool Caribbean ink pad, Real Red and Wild Wasabi reinkers (SU!)
Stamps: Wonderful Wings, Best Blossoms, Happy Harmony (SU!); flower (Studio G acrylic stamps, Michael's $1 spot)
Other: Real Red grosgrain, Blender Pens (SU!); rhinestone brad (Karen Foster)

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Very pretty card -- love the colors!
Happy Birthday to your son, he's adorable!! :)

Unknown said...

That card is AWESOME! And yay for new stamps! :) I came home today to a box full of inks, stickles, and dew drops so I can somewhat sense your excitement!

Donna Baker said...

what a great card! neat that you turned it horizontally. HB to your cutie pie

Ida said...

Beautiful Child and Beautiful Card. I like how you flipped the sketch on it's side.

Taylor said...

Happy Birthday Jonathan!!! They do grow way too fast! =)

Wonderful creative take on the challenge...I love it! And that butterfly is BEAUTIFUL! =) Thanks for playing!

Conni said...

they grow all too fast!!

Great card, I see you use a photo tent, I think I need one of those
C