Sunday, November 9, 2008

Butterfly friends

Happy Sunday! Here's a card I made for yesterday's Featured Stamper challenge on SCS. Wendy Bell has a fantastic gallery (go check out the things she can do with punches!), so I had a hard time picking one to CASE, but in the end chose this one: Friends and Flowers. I kept the idea of a shaped card, the (general) color scheme, and the butterfly and friend sentiment stamps, but changed it by using *different* stamps from the ones Wendy used, and using an oval-shaped card instead of a flower-shaped card.
I started with a sheet of So Saffron, and folded it down the middle so I would be able to size out a roughly 5 1/2" card base. Then I used my Coluzzle oval template to cut the base (using the largest oval, and being sure to leave part of the fold). Then I cut a Chocolate Chip oval (using the 3rd largest oval), and one from Very Vanilla (using the 4th largest). *Tip: the 3rd largest oval is the perfect size for scalloping the edge with an EK Success medium corner rounder. So that's what I did! *wink*

I stamped the card base with Distressed Dots, and the Vanilla oval with 'Friends for Life' from the Unity August KOTM, and sponged the edges of the vanilla oval, all using my Pumpkin Pie stamp pad. I popped up the Chocolate Chip layer on foam tape, and adhered the Vanilla oval directly to it.

Next, I stamped my {favorite} butterfly onto Pumpkin Pie CS, inking the stamp first with Versamark, then with Chocolate Chip. This keeps the dye ink wet enough to emboss. After embossing with clear powder, I cut out the butterfly, and attached it to the VV layer. The center is adhered with regular tape runner, and I put teeny pieces of foam tape under the wings for dimension.

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your day!
~Michelle

Supplies used:
Paper: So Saffron, Chocolate Chip, Very Vanilla, and Pumpkin Pie CS (SU!)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie (SU!); Versamark (Tsukineko)
Stamps: Distressed Dots, August KOTM, September KOTM (Unity Stamp Co.)
Other: clear detail embossing powder (Stampendous!); Coluzzle cutting system; medium corner rounder (EK Success); foam tape (3M); makeup sponge

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love that butterfly with the distressed dots!! great card!

Shannon said...

Just adorable, as usual. How are you feeling? I hope you're going to make it to Pam's on Friday night. Call me and let me know and we can carpool.

Scrapacat said...

I love love love the idea of using a connected shape for a card instead of the regular rectangle. I'll have to try this! Love that butterfly, too. Thanks for inspiring me!