Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wednesday Challenge #13!

Guess who picked this week's challenge? That's right! It was me!! I'm so excited about this one...I've been saving this image for just such an occasion:

Isn't that bedding luscious? It's from Mystic Valley Traders, and is called Paloma. My challenge to the Unity Junkies (and anyone who wants to play along in the Unity Forum...that means you!) was to create a card using this photo as inspiration. Be inspired by the colors, the patterns, the layers, textures, etc... I based my card on the colors, and used lots of layers and a DP with a similar 'feel' to the pattern on the bedding:

The base is a standard A2 card base (4 1/4" x 5 1/2" when folded) of Chocolate Chip CS. Next I layered a 4 1/8" x 5 3/8" piece of Baja Breeze CS, then a 4" x 5 1/4" panel of Scenic Route DP. The image is also inspired by the current images on a Starbucks coffee cup, of a bird with a string in its beak, carrying an ornament (the idea to use the Tiny Trinity tree as an ornament is CASE'd from the amazing Jennifer Buck...here's her card). I stamped the tree onto Whisper White CS, and again onto a scrap of my DP, and paper-pieced the larger leaves. The small leaves were blender-pen colored with Distress Peeled Paint ink. I stamped the bird from Giggle Grove onto Baja Breeze CS, and his wing onto the same DP, and pieced the wing onto the bird's body. I drew in a 'string' line using a ZIG writer, and adhered the bird to the white CS. Then I cut out the image using my Coluzzle oval template, and cut two ovals the next size up (one Really Rust, one Baja Breeze), and scalloped the edge of the Baja Breeze oval using my small corner rounder (it doesn't come out even, so I just planned to have the extra bit hidden by my bow). I tied on a bow, and adhered the ovals, using foam tape under the Really Rust layer. Then I attached a small knot of ribbon to the top of my 'ornament' using a mini Glue Dot. Finally, I stamped 'Peace' in the corner using a Stamp-a-ma-Jig.

I hope you all play along! As an extra incentive, please reply to this post on my blog with a link to your card (by next Wednesday, 11/26/2008 at 10pm PST), and I'll pick a random winner to receive a little bit of blog candy!!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Michelle

Supplies used:
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Really Rust, Baja Breeze, Whisper White CS (SU!); Green DP (Scenic Route)
Ink: Chocolate Chip (SU!)
Stamps: Tiny Trinity, Giggle Grove (Unity Stamp Company)
Other: Coluzzle cutting system; small corner rounder (EK Success); ribbon (Club Wedd by Target); foam mounting tape (3M)

19 comments:

Lindsay Spencer said...

What a great idea. Very cute.

kyllimarjaana said...

Such a clever and nice .

Tiff said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!! Super clever :)

Christi said...

First, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this inspiration piece...GREAT choice!!! And OMG, look at how creative your are...I love this card and how you used that tree top. Just gorgeous! and so creative! smiles...

Lisa H. said...

this is just sooo cool. thanks for choosing such a fun inspiration piece. love how your card came together. did you really paper piece all those little leaves?! FAB job!

Lisa Hetrick said...

Michelle, this is just lovely. Love birdies and so cool what you did.

Ryann said...

Gorgeous card Michelle! I was able to play along this week. Here is my card: http://rsalamon.blogspot.com/2008/11/unity-addicts-wednesday.html

Maria said...

Very cool! Nice job!

Tanis said...

Love it! What a smart idea :)

Jenn said...

Hope I can play along later today, great bedding for inspiration!

love your card

Anonymous said...

This card is very, very pretty! I love what you did with the challenge.

Jacqueline said...

Wow amazing inspiration! And your card is gorgeous! The colors are perfect! Thanks for the challenge this week! Here is mine so far in my SCS gallery

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1135172?cat=500&ppuser=163378

Joy said...

michelle, this was a great challenge, and this is a fantastic card!!!!!!!!

Jessy said...

Michelle- first, thanks for a wonderful challenge. loved the colors for this one and all the design. Your card is ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR! I especially love how you flipped the trinity tree to make it look like an ornament. CLEVER!! :)

Dawn M said...

love the ribbon on the holly!

Chris S. said...

I want your autograph so when you are famous, I'll have an original!

Lori said...

Clever use of the image! And, great layout, too.

Eva said...

Ohhh..I so love this...fabulous colors and the stamps are just yummy looking.

Anonymous said...

This card makes me salivate. Beautiful!

I'm weighing my scallop options to try to get some larger scallops. I'm not sure I want to pay the bucks for a die cutting machine...I already own coluzzle. When I first saw this, I was thinking it had to be a coluzzle. So, I'm wondering what kind of corner rounder you used to do this and how you kept it so even? I tried today using a MM punch I got and it kept cutting where it wasn't supposed to...I ordered a used tab half circle punch hoping to accomplish this, but I wonder if I should get the corner rounder. The punches and my coluzzle seem to be so versatile and work well in my space. Any suggestions?