Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hip Hop Butterfly Dreams

One of today's HHT challenges was to make a one-layer card using Unity stamps. (A one layer card, or OLC, is a card where the card base is the *only* paper used...no extra layers at all. Julie Ebersole (aka JulieHRR) is the QUEEN of OLC's...definitely go check her out!)

For my card, I wanted to use one of the sentiments from the October KOTM that I hadn't inked yet: "We are the music makers & we are the dreamers of dreams". Which is my 2nd favorite quote from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the first being "We've got to get on with it...We've got so much time and so little to do! ...scratch that, reverse it" In case you were wondering about my blog's name, now you know!)

So I combined that quotation with a butterfly from the October KOTM, and one from the August KOTM to create this card:
The key, I think, to a one layer card (and I'm by NO means an expert) it to try to create layers without actually having any. So what I did was make 5 masks...one for the sentiment, and two for each butterfly. That ways I could have the butterflies layered over each other to give a feeling of depth. (Here's a tutorial on SCS if you aren't familiar with masking.) I started stamping the quotation in the middle of my card base, using a Stamp-a-ma-jig and Stazon Jet Black ink. Then, I built up the butterflies around it, added my masks, and filled in with more butterflies. I tied on a bow and Voila! the card was done. The beauty of OLCs is that once you have the idea, they come together *very* quickly.

Thanks for stopping by! I'll hopefully be back with another challenge card in a bit! *wink*
~Michelle

Supplies used:
Paper: Very Vanilla CS (SU!)
Ink: Pretty in Pink, Ruby Red (SU!); Stazon Jet Black (Tsukineko)
Stamps: August KOTM and October KOTM (Unity Stamp Co.)
Other: Post-it notes; grosgrain ribbon (unknown)

2 comments:

Ryann said...

Michelle, I love your butterfly card. It looks so serene. I want to be there with the butterflies!

Shannon said...

Just gorgeous! Butterflies are my favorite and the more, the better :) I hope you're feeling better.